Friday, August 05, 2005

Trial Workout

My friend, Chewie, invited me as a guest at her gym. I hesitated at first, as I felt 99.90% sure I was not going to enroll anyway. However, she told me guests are welcome to try the facilities and attend the group classes. There were classes held after office hours and these range from 'Body Combat' to 'Yoga' to 'Latin Workout'. This last one got me interested so we finally decided to attend both Body Combat and Latin Workout classes. I was thinking, "salsa, salsa, salsa!".

However, we both arrived late that particular day which meant we can only join the Latin Workout at 7pm. I arrived around 10mins before the class started and spent this time being interviewed by an assistant (I think I was considered a prospective client) who finally let me go to change as the instructor was already entering the room. As a guest, I was also entitled to a tour of the premises and the presentation of all facilities and perks available to members. But all these were deferred until after the workout.

After getting dressed in a tank top, jogging pants and sneakers (I guess, I'm not the sporty type--no proper rubber/workout shoes. But hey! This is just a Latin workout, I even planned taking off my socks & sneakers for ease in dancing but I decided otherwise), I walked quickly behind Chewie towards the room. There were only about 8 people in the class excluding the instructor. We started to warm up with an introduction of the first few dance steps to the tune of 'modern' Latin music (if there is such a thing as that). I missed the predominance of drums that are particular to some Latin songs that I have. I am accustomed to hearing the clave beat on my salsa music. But I was open to something new so it didn't bother me that much as long as I could dance my way to fitness.

The steps were like a jazz-cha-cha-cha-mambo-meringue combination with some aerobic movements thrown in between. There was only 1 salsa move (I think we called it the 'Back-to-Back' step) but I didn't mind. I did my best to follow and remember the sequence of all the steps we learned and enjoyed the whole workout. It made me feel good that I was able to exercise somehow. I just couldn't find time for it in my daily routine (good thing my friend invited me-- thanks, Chewie)!

When our workout ended, we munched on some cucumber and 'singkamas' sticks. I didn't get some carrots as I wouldn't be able to bite them properly anyway. My teeth and molars still hurt a bit since my last
appointment with my dentist. We then proceeded to try an equipment which made me perform 'jogging' movements for 10 minutes. I then tried the treadmill for another 10. The sauna was our next stop. It was quite relaxing to just sit there after our workout. The gym provided us bath and hand towels (even shirts or shorts if you need them) in addition to bathing supplies and lockers. To me this was all just splendid, as I was only a guest there but I got to enjoy the perks--only for that night, of course. What's still keeping me from enrolling is the lack of regular free time and extra money. Chewie suggested I talk with the assistant regarding these concerns to see if something can be arranged. However, while we were handing in the towels, we were informed she had already gone home.

Smelling and feeling good, we exited the gym's doors munching on more cucumber sticks. Overall, I found the trial workout enjoyable and memorable. I got what I wanted--exercise, stress relief, a high-spirited feeling--and all for FREE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home